I find myself traveling all of the time for depositions, conferences, and meetings. Thanks to Chris Jordan’s influence, I have learned how to be more efficient with my time and enjoy being on the road. Chris loves all things technical. He researches, reads, and pays attention to what others are doing.
I want to share some of the “gadgets” that I bring on every trip.
- COBRA POWER INVERTER (www.cobra.com) – Model CPI-150-BK – Business and First Class airplanes typically have a power source in each row. Select rows in coach also have a power source. I plug in the Cobra Power Inverter, and it allows me to plug in my laptop, charger for my phone, or even power my IPOD if it is getting low. The Cobra Power Inverter also can be used with a cigarette lighter in your rental car if you are running out of battery. (Cost: approx. $69)
- BLACKBERRY phone for GPS. I get lost easily when I am driving around a new city, or I might be in NYC walking around looking for an address of a building I need to get to. My Blackberry has a GPS function. I can use it to see where I am and/or to find a destination. I understand the Iphone and Instinct phone have a similar function.
- GARMIN GPS – If we are taking an extensive trip with lots of driving, we bring along our GARMIN to help us find our destination, find restaurants, and points of interest. Chris will put in all of the addresses we might need on the trip before we leave home so we are ready to go the moment we get into our rental car.
- BOSE headset – I love listening to my IPOD. Familiar music makes traveling so much more relaxing and even fun. Sitting in a plane where there might be lots of commotion, crying, and ambient noise, there is nothing better than my BOSE headset to drown it all out.
- SPRINT air card – I need to be online for email and internet research constantly. I have my card ready to go at every opportunity. If I have a 45-minute layover in Dallas, I am up and running the moment we land. As a court reporter and firm owner, time is always of the essence. Everything is an expedite. I need Google to be ready to go. (BTW – I am online during every deposition with my air card – it saves me time over and over again.)
When traveling as a reporter, I have more tricks and tips that are geared towards reporting on the road. That information will be shared in an upcoming travel blog.